Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Week of Nov. 1st 2009

  • C.W.--My sister's friend and next door neighbor has been diagnosed with breast cancer and will undergo a double mastectomy in a couple of months. She is having chemo now on her lymph glands to stop further spread. Her name is Betsy - we appreciate your prayers.
  • Dear Friends:I need to let you know that Caroline died late last night after a long fight with cancer. She was able to spend the last month with us at home and only last week transferred back to Hospice Austin's remarkable inpatient facility, Christopher House, where she felt very comfortable thanks to the fantastic staff (and medicine). Caroline's last cancer recurrence was in October of last year; we found out about it on the same day we accepted a contract to sell our long-time home in Northwest Austin. At first, I thought we should stay put and not move because the future was uncertain, but Caroline loved the new house so much that I realized we needed to get into it quickly before she restarted chemo and began to feel worse, so that she could enjoy it as long as possible. The view of the new back yard (and her hummingbird feeder) from bed has been some of her best therapy ever since. The kids and I hope you'll come see us here when you can. Caroline was diagnosed with stage III colon cancer in October 2004 and since then endured a brutal series of 25 surgeries, dozens of hospital stays, 30 delightful radiation treatments, and lots of chemotherapy. She is unfortunately better known at our hospital's emergency room than in our new neighborhood. And she is my hero for going through all she did so that she could be with us as long as humanly possible. While the past five years included several promising test results that indicated she was cancer-free, Caroline's tumor was a particularly virulent type called signet ring cell adenocarcinoma that is prone to recurrence and rapid growth. Her last major surgery was in March, when the surgeons at MD Anderson found that the tumor had spread to the bone and was therefore incurable. She was then well enough to endure two rounds of chemo in May but had to stop all oncology treatment after that. Since then, we spent all of Caroline's healthy days with the kids making memories to last their lifetime, and we had a great time doing it. In August, Caroline decided to take us on the 1.5 mile hike through Natural Bridge Caverns in Comal County; she hiked the whole way in and out of the cave, which was spectacular. Her last major outings were dinner at Hudson's on the Bend for our 16th anniversary, a picnic in Wimberley with the kids, a trip to San Antonio with the family, a front row seat at the circus with the whole family (which she loved and raved about for days), a day at the Lake Austin Spa with her mother, a trip to the theatre to see her favorite musical Wicked for the third time, and two all-expense-paid stays at Christopher House. She was not well enough for our planned July 4 vacation to Washington DC and the Greenbrier in West Virginia, and so we will take that trip in memory of her next year. Until September, she was well enough to make lots of food requests for things she wanted to eat while she could, and we succeeded in getting all of them made for her in the past two months, including at various times her Dad's chicken paprikash, my clamless clam bake, pulled pork sandwiches with wilted slaw (and Reginald's mom's barbecue sauce), lots of guacamole and limes, Jim's barbecue shrimp, Kerbey Lane buttermilk pancakes, a mushroom pizza from Whole Foods downtown, and, for her last Sunday dinner with us on September 27, a tomato salad and homemade mashed potatoes and a little asparagus casserole from my mom's recipe. Then after 17 days with no food, three Saturdays ago she woke up and demanded Haagen-Dazs vanilla swiss almond ice cream, which she insisted on feeding to herself through a pretty deep narcotic haze; it was a mess but she was happy; I had to wrestle the spoon away from her. So she remained equal parts persuasive, stubborn, and hilarious until the end. The kids are Max (age 11), Livvy (6), and Adam (10). The kids have strong counselors who have been great to them for the past several years when needed. I know that they'll continue to be helpful to us in the future. We so appreciate the kind thoughts and prayers offered on our behalf for many years and especially lately; the support of our family and friends has sustained us through difficulties we thought we could not bear. Thank you. We look forward to seeing you soon. We'll have a memorial service for Caroline, probably on November 14. I'll let you know the arrangements when they're finalized.
  • J.W.--I have been diagnosed this week with cervical cancer. You girls are my life long peeps and strongest supporters so I wanted y'all to know what is going on with me. I will be starting treatment in Dallas on Monday. I will have radiation 5 days a week and chemo once a week for 5-6 weeks. I am having a procedure in the morning to place a stint in my ureter in order to drain my right kidney. The mass is contained to the cervical area but is large enough to be placing pressure on this tube and causing a blockage that is making urine back up into my kidney. They want to do this procedure before radiation starts while the tissue is still healthy. The Dr's have all said this is very treatable and curable. Kim will be your go to person for all updates. I believe in the power of prayer. Please feel free to pass this on to any prayer chains/teams you are connected with. We are all pretty freaked out but are hanging in. This WILL NOT impact the birthday cruise!!!! I fully intend to be on that ship in April.--Amy (Jen's friend)
  • CHURCH Praises and Prayer Requests -
  • S.H.--For safe travels for our sis-in-law, Julie. My friend's nephew Landry who has spina bifida. Baby Charlie. Marlena, she recovers from the flu. Thank you!
  • J.H.--My Aunt Betty - she will be having surgery for her 2nd broken hip.
  • M.W.--Praise God for the success of Trunk or Treat. Praise God for our Praise & Worship Group. Pray for our troops everywhere--hedge of protection. Pray for my dtr's & granddtr's safe return flight from CA. Pray for my hubby Mark..now works Sundays..transferring prisoners into new jail bldg. Pray for my son--safe trip to Texas on motorcycle.
  • B.W.--Praise God for our awesome TCC Church Family! For decisions about treatment for Faith & our upcoming move.
  • G.&G.T.--Alex, David, Margaret, Vanessa, Oralia, Frank, Eva, Olivia, Gilbert.
  • D.S.--Strength to continue being a better mom and stronger woman each day.
  • M.G.--Heather's continual recovery w/pneumonia. Drew's healing with lyme disease. Brother's upcoming surgery on his knee.
  • M.W.--Continued prayers for Faith as we figure out what treatments are best for her. Also, for Collins as she goes through chemotherapy.
  • T.W.--For my allergies that I will feel better!
  • S.V.--For the ability to be able to communicate in a positive murturing manner with my oldest daughter so that she will understand all that I want her to say & most of all that I love her.
  • L.F.--My mom's back! Super Baby Faith!
  • S.D.-J.--Please pray for healing in my mom's body from the vertigo she's experiencing. Pray for traveling mercies as she travels.
  • G.S.--Prayers for family unity.for your prayers. My mom's tumors were undetectable by CT-scan. Her name is Ana.
  • J.C.--Prayer for our family.
  • L.A.--Pray for my family and our money problems.
  • D.&P.M.--Last chemo treatment Monday, then recuperating, rebuilding body from the treatment. Pray show Dean what he is to do to serve Lord further.
  • C.&G.B.--Gary-heart surgery.
  • D.C.--Prayer request for our family, our finances, our spiritual lives.
  • C.C.--Judith-diabetes; Alfred-back pain.
  • Y.V-.--Praise God-Christopher had a great week. Pray for continued healing and a cure for his seizures and autism.
  • M.P.--That I would get an A on my science test. I would have peace this week.
  • A.M.--For my heart to be free from past pain. I have forgiven that person but I have not let go of the pain.
  • D.D.--Pray for my unsaved husband.
  • T.C.--My grandma
  • J.C.--Pray for all groups throughout the week. Neftalie-whole body; Cristina-knee, studies; Judy-whole body; Evelyn-salvation; Jennifer-M.s.; Stacy-confusion; Stacy-womb; Zabrina, school; Andrew-shoulder.
  • C.D.--Please pray for increased faith & less doubt in my heart. Thank you!
  • B.F.--Canon still has a fever.
  • J.M.--Sandra who has lupus.
  • S.D.--Prayer for me; I'm back with lupus.
  • C.L.--Pray for my marriage and for my son Joseph, 16-year-old.
  • E.R.--That you
  • Pray for the situation at Ft Hood, for the families of the soldiers who were killed, and for all the wounded.



No comments: